If you have received a DUI in Gwinnett County Georgia and are unsure what steps to take next it is critical that you have a trusted and experienced DUI attorney by your side in order to preserve your freedom. Often, individuals think they can handle their DUI charges alone and represent themselves in court. This is not the case; in fact representing yourself may complicate you case even further. Avoid the urge to handle your DUI charges on your own, instead contact the Law Offices of Richard S. Lawson for guidance for your specific needs.
Don't be tempted to research DUI defense on your own. There a lot of information out there and it may not be reliable. That is why it is so critical that you enlist an experienced Gwinnett DUI lawyer immediately.
Some sample DUI defenses that a good Gwinnett DUI attorney my use are:
1. Did the officer have reasonable suspicion to stop the vehicle?
2. If there was a roadblock, did the police follow procedure, such as:
a. Was there a legitimate purpose such as check for licenses, not general law enforcement?
b. Was each vehicle stopped?
c. Was the roadblock properly marked?
d. Has a police supervisor approved the checkpoint?
e. Was your detention brief and for the correct legal purpose
3. Was the stop a pretext or were you racially profiled?
4. Were field sobriety tests performed and demonstrated according to procedure?
5. Was the arrestee properly advised of their implied consent rights and were their questions answered correctly?
6. Did the arresting officer say anything inconsistent with implied consent rights?
7. Was your vehicle searched, was there probable cause to search the vehicle?
8. Did the officer violate the driver's 5th Amendment right to remain silent after the arrest (Miranda Rights)?
9. Did the arresting officer have Probable Cause to make the arrest for DUI?
10. Was a breath test was given, did the machine work correctly?
11. If there was a blood test, was there a proper chain of custody of the blood, or could the sample be switched with another person's sample?
12. If there was a urine test, was there a proper chain of custody of the urine, or could the sample be switched with another person's sample?
13. Did your blood or urine test shows prescription drugs, were the drug levels within the therapeutic range or the abusive range?
14. Was the client told of his right to an independent breath, blood, or urine test?
15. Was the officer properly trained to make DUI Arrests?
16. Did the arresting officer have a disciplinary record?
17. If the blood or urine test shows the presence of marijuana metabolites, are the metabolites active THC or inactive; meaning, could the marijuana have actually had an impact on the driving itself?
18. If there was an accident, could the other driver have been at fault?
19. If there was an accident, could the driver have appeared impaired because of injury or disassociation from the accident itself?
20. Did the airbag deploy in an accident, thereby causing the driver to become dazed and confused?
If you have ever been arrest for a DUI it is imperative that you act quickly in order to protect your rights and your ability to drive. The expert legal team at the Law Offices of Richard S. Lawson has over 20 years of experience working with individuals charged with DUI. We will utilize our expertise to help resolve your case as quickly and effectively as possible.